Monday, December 22, 2008

52 Blogs to Christ

In my heart, I have always been and will always be a physicist. The idea that we can truly understand what goes on around us and that we can use that knowledge to create new inventions and to discover new phenomena appeals to me like no other discipline ever did. Everything physicists hold as truth is based on asking fundamental questions and conducting and recreating innumerable experiments. In any scientific discipline you are taught not to take anything as fact without first asking questions. You are taught that an experiment (be it a physical experiment or a thought experiment) is worthless unless it can be recreated. This is the mindset I bring to anything I study.

Most Christians (or most people, for that matter) ask themselves at some point whether God is truly real. Most question the validity of the Scripture. Most struggle to understand the true meaning of Biblical text. I am no different than most in this regard. Still, it is my sincere hope that I can offer something different when it comes to the way we seek Christ. Some come to know Christ through personal revelations. Others trust implicitly that their parents or other key figures in their lives would not lead them astray. Still others believe that answered prayers prove the existence of God. For me, though, it is physics, logic, and reason that provide the most concrete evidence.

I want to share with you the reasons that I first truly began to trust in God, Christ, and Biblical truth. I ask that you read each post with an open heart and that you do not allow any preconceptions to cloud your judgment. I will take the next year to lead you down the same path that led me to Christ. I encourage you to comment and to challenge those things that leave you feeling unconvinced.

Tentative Outline:
- Understanding Truth
- Dismissing Conjecture
- The Big Bang and the Non-eternal Universe
- The Design of the Universe
- Monotheism
- The History of History
- The Historical Jesus
- The Gospels
- Alleged Biblical Contradictions
- Archeological Evidence
- Biblical Themes
- Coming to Know Jesus

10 comments:

Steven Stark said...

I'm looking forward to reading! Hooray!

Mia & Teddy Mom said...

I needed something like this for the upcoming year and I can't wait to read all the postings. This is such a blessing.

Kristin said...

Can't wait for your January 1 post!

Kristin said...

Only thing is, whenever you type, it says "posted by Kristin." Can we fix that?

Steven Stark said...

Oh come on, Kristen. You know you're really ghostwriting this thing for Randy..... ;)

John Stark said...

Thanks Randy!

Kristin said...

Yeah, Steve, I wish! He writes much better than I do!

Skyhook said...

Randy,

I stumbled across this blog and I find your quest of "52 Blogs to Christ" interesting. I look forward to reading what it is that you have learned and hopefully participating in the comments that follow.

As you move forward through the 52 weeks, points of disagreement are likely to come up. Is this blog accepting of differing view points? I only ask this because I don't want to invest time in reading these blogs if my views are not welcome.

Thank you for your time.

Randy said...

Skyhook,

I would welcome your comments. Often times, we do not challenge our own beliefs enough and I am anxious to hear what others have to say. By the blog's title, I trust that you realize I am a believer in Christ, but I do not base my beliefs on "blind faith" as is often associated with Christianity. In fact, my next post should address the approach I wish to take going forward. I know for certain that my readership ranges from atheist to devout and covers most everything in between. I expect comments and opinions to vary a great deal and I pray that I will be up to the task of answering any questions my readers may have. The first two posts will establish some ground rules, but after that I expect we will have some lively debate and I hope that you will take part. Thank you so much for reading. Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

http://exchristian.net/